In Elbert County, the name 'Granite Bowl' has grown to legendary status as the home of the Blue Devils. It has become the largest jewel in the crown of a community known as the 'Granite Capital of the World.' This is an historic year in the life of the Bowl on College Avenue. The upcoming 2010 season marks the 57th season of Blue Devil football in the Granite Bowl. The site of the bowl was once a vast ravine between the Elberton High School (located where the Elbert County Middle School is today) and the Elbert County Courthouse. According to Lee Atkinson head coach of the Blue Devils from 1948 to 1963, the area was a forested area around a stream that ran through town.